Table of Contents
Dharma Talks Overview
This page is a hub for all the public talks I give. If you click the links below, there will be a short description of the talk, along with a media player to stream or download the talk.
The majority of them were recorded during the Tuesday night Path of Sincerity Sangha, and are mostly around 30 minutes long.
Since summer 2019, the talks have largely moved through the major “lists” found in Theravadan Buddhism. In turn, the talks below are listed in reverse chronological order, with only slight breaks in the series.
The Seven Factors of Awakening
The Seven Factors of Awakening (satta bojjhaṅgā) are seven specific inner qualities that when developed fully, result in awakening. They are one of the most essential lists in Buddhism, and are a powerful set of qualities we can really dig our teeth into, and step into greater well-being and less suffering.
Here are two bonus talks on parts of “Transcendental Dependent Arising,” which is a complimentary list that likewise points directly to Enlightenment:
- Buddhist Faith & Conviction – Saddhā (1-19-2020)
- Disenchantment & Dispassion – Nibbida & Viraga (1-12-2020)
Factors of Awakening:
- Awakening & Enlightenment (1-5-2020)
- The Equanimity Awakening Factor – Upekkhā (12-29-2020)
- The Concentration Awakening Factor – Samadhi (12-22-2020)
- The Tranquility Awakening Factor – Passaddhi (12-15-2020)
- The Joy Awakening Factor – Piti (12-8-2020)
- The Effort Awakening Factor – Viriya (12-1-2020)
- The Meditative Investigation Awakening Factor – Dhamma Vicaya (11-24-2020)
- The Mindfulness Awakening Factor – Sati (11-17-2020)
- Seven Factors of Awakening Overview (11-10-2020)
The Noble Eightfold Path
The intro talk for the series has been lost, although the Noble Eightfold Path is the Buddha’s tangible instructions for how we can awaken. It’s traditionally divided into three sections/trainings: wisdom, ethics & meditation. As wisdom and meditation get talked about a lot in Western Buddhism, I spent extra time in this series fleshing out ethics (sila) to provide a more well-rounded understanding of how deep and powerful of a training it can be.
One of the primary resources for this series was this book by Bhikkhu Bodhi, which provides an excellent traditional overview.
- Noble Eightfold Path Summary (10-27-2020)
- Wise Friendship (9-29-2020)
- Wise Consumption 3of3 (9-22-2020)
- Wise Consumption 2of3 (9-15-2020)
- Wise Consumption 1of3 (9-8-2020)
- Right Livelihood (9-1-2020)
- Wise Sexuality (8-18-2020)
- Right Action (8-11-2020)
- Insight Dialogue – Practicing Right Speech (8-4-2020)
- Right Speech (7-28-2020)
- Buddhist Ethics Overview – Sila (7-21-2020)
- Right Intention (7-14-2020)
- Right View 4of4 – Impermanence / Inconstancy (7-7-2020)
- Right View 3of4 – Working with Fixed Views (6-30-2020)
- Right View 2of4 – Liberating Right View (6-23-2020)
- Right View 1of4 – Karma & Everyday Life (6-16-2020)