Next Daylong Meditation Retreat
Date: Saturday, November 11th, from 10:00am to 4:00pm+
Location: Heart of Wisdom Zen Temple, 6401 NE 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97211
Cost: Gift economy / aka donation
Registration: RSVP required; email me via David@Pathofsincerity.com
There will be a daylong retreat every other month; see further below for the schedule & mission statement.
Event Description – Nov 11th Dalyong Retreat
Title and description to come soon!
The meditation portion of the day will go from 10:00am to 4:00pm, with a lunch break around 1pm.
The day will feature a couple of short dharma talks, several periods of sitting meditation around 45 minutes long, indoor walking meditation, and time for questions.
We will balance direct instruction with plenty of time in silence, as that is the true teacher. Please bring your own lunch.
You are welcome to leave at 4:00pm or stick around for up to another hour for informal socializing, tea, and treats!
Offered on the gift economy (aka, generosity or donation).
Your presence is the biggest gift, though if you’re able, monetary contributions are always appreciated & help keep the ship afloat. For more info on why I choose to teach entirely on donation, check out this article on “the gift economy.”
Donations can be made in person or electronically via this link.
Bi-Monthly Daylong Retreats – Overview
Every month on a Saturday, we’ll take a deep-dive as a local community, alternating months between a daylong meditation retreat and a “Sangha Service Day.” Below is the upcoming schedule:
- Oct 7 – Service Day @ Tideman Johnson Park Habitat Enhancement
- Nov 11 – Daylong Meditation Retreat @ Heart of Wisdom Temple in NE Portland
- Dec 9 – Service Day @ Friends of Trees in Happy Valley
- Jan 20 – Daylong Meditation Retreat @ Heart of Wisdom Temple in NE Portland
For the daylong retreats, anyone is welcome to join. There are no prerequisites, requirements, or prior experience with this community needed.
Daylong Retreats – Mission Statement
In a world that pulls our attention in so many directions, there is something incredibly powerful about taking a whole day with meditation as our top priority. In that spirit, here are the two primary purposes of these bi-monthly retreats:
- To create the conditions for people to go deeper into the dhamma — into a more robust stability of mind, peace, loving-kindness, and liberating insight.
- To practice the entire Noble Eightfold Path — as the Sangha Service Days focus more on the virtue section of the Buddha’s Eightfold Path, these days will focus more on the meditation & wisdom sections. This allows us to make a regular practice of the entire path, and do so not in isolation but with others!
David Sudar is a former Buddhist monk, who has completed over 3 years of silent retreats, including an intensive 21-month Vipassana Meditation retreat in Myanmar with his core teacher, Sayadaw U Tejaniya. He currently works as a Buddhist & meditation teacher in Portland, OR. He has taught extensively for the 10% Happier app, Pause Meditation, and the Path of Sincerity Sangha.