I practice and teach Insight Meditation, also known as Vipassana or Mindfulness Meditation.
The basic idea is bringing our attention into the present, and through that developing a deeper self-understanding that allows us to respond to life instead of react to it. For example, it might help us feel completely at peace & even smiling when someone cuts us off in traffic, instead of getting irritated or upset.
One of my specialties is teaching how our “formal meditation” practice can carry over into our real life, and we discover benefits like heightened self-love, greater ease in our own skin, a deeper focus on what’s important, and an ability to weather any storm (e.g. anxiety, depression, loss, illness, or, quite literally, stepping in a puddle).
I’d suggest either starting with our comprehensive guide to Mindfulness Meditation, or trying out one of the guided meditations:
Here’s Some Of Our favorite Mindfulness & Meditation Articles:
- What Makes Mindfulness Meditation Unique
- The Top Six Benefits I’ve Gotten from 10,000+ Hours of Meditation Practice
- A Rough Guide to Eating Meditation
- Meditation Groups – Why Go & How to Choose a Good One
- Meditation Retreats – Why Go & WHERE to go
- Every Buddhist Meditation Community in Portland Oregon
A Few Common Questions:
- What’s the difference between “formal” and “informal” meditation?
- Is intensely focusing on studies the same thing as Mindfulness?
- How do I work with sleepiness in meditation?
- I’m worried about my meditation posture – what should I do?
- How do I work with thinking in meditation?
- Is it Best to Have Eyes Open or Closed while Meditating?
- What gets people to ACTUALLY meditate?
- What should I do with strong impulses when meditating?
The Development Of Wisdom In Meditation
- Introducing Insight and Wisdom in Mindfulness Meditation (Part 1)
- How to Measure the Strength of an Insight (Part 2)
- The Difference between “Psychological” and “Meditative” Insight (Part 3)
- The Three Core Insights of Mindfulness Meditation (Part 4)
- How to Attain Wisdom & Insight in Three Steps (Part 5)
- Six Important Things to Know after a Major Insight (Part 6)
And A Few More Fun Articles:
- Two Paradigms of Mastery: Flow vs. Deliberate Practice
- Using Meditation to Think Efficiently
- Evolved Mindfulness: How to “Witness” and Deeply Feel your Inner Reality
- On Meditation: Three Ways to Handle a “Brick Wall”
- Mindfulness-based “Stress Reduction” vs. “Wisdom Cultivation”
- Shamanic Journeys vs. Mindfulness Meditation